workout style

Daniel Grayson

24 Jun, 2017 03:09 PM

I'd like to be able to create workouts like this one:

Deadlift: a set at 100 pounds, as many reps as possible; a set at 120 pounds, as many reps as possible; and finally, a set at 140 pounds, as many reps as possible.

What I mean by "as many reps as possible" is that I take 6-10 seconds per rep and keep lifting until I can't lift again.

There are rests in between the sets.

When logging a workout I don't see any options that look like this.

1. 1 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 25 Jun, 2017 04:05 PM

PS: Alternatively, the workout could leave the weights unspecified, but recommend, in a note, that I choose weights that result in 8-12 reps being lifted in one set, going for as many reps as possible each time.

2. 2 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 25 Jun, 2017 04:30 PM

PS: We have found a solution, but it works only if the workout is first planned and then logged. We build a workout under the Plan tab with a single movement, Deadlift, select "Sets", specify 3 sets with each set having "Max Reps" (instead of a number of reps), with weights varying and assigned.

Of course, that's probably an ill-advised workout scheme. Better would be to leave the weights unspecified, too, of specify them in a way that increases as I get stronger. In any case, that's also possible.

Do people think this is the best way?

Is it well known that there are workouts that can't be logged without first planning them?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jake Mannion on 27 Jun, 2017 06:08 PM

Daniel,

It seems to me you can do exactly the same thing from the Log page. Choose single movement. Search deadlift. Pick "sets". Set it to 3 sets and change it to max reps. You'll enter the weights and reps performed.

The major difference between Log and Plan is that with Log you are telling us exactly what you did. For example, when logging something, you don't give both male and female weights because, if you aren't female, we don't care about that. On the other hand, if you are Planning this workout for your gym or a group of people, male and female weights will need to be designated for both sexes.

I hope this makes a bit more sense. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Jake

4. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2017 06:08 PM.

5. Daniel Grayson re-opened this discussion on 28 Jun, 2017 12:33 PM

6. 4 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 28 Jun, 2017 12:33 PM

Thanks! Somehow we missed that.

What does "Last Set M.E." mean?

7. 5 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 30 Jun, 2017 04:56 PM

Jake,

I was partially right, after all. The "Rep Scheme" menu item is not provided to us on your Android app, even though it is provided on the web. I attach screen shots: the first one is from the Android app, and the second is from the web browser.

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Jake Mannion on 03 Jul, 2017 06:09 PM

Daniel,

I see the subtle differences. While the Android app doesn't say "Max Reps" from the log page, it's still essentially that. Type in the weight used and however many reps you got at that weight. In that sense you're telling BTWB that you did a max rep of 7 (for example) at 140. Logging a workout is simply entering what you did.

Having said that, their may still be some disconnect between the iPhone and Android apps. Are you on beta?

Jake

9. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 03 Jul, 2017 06:09 PM.

10. Daniel Grayson re-opened this discussion on 04 Jul, 2017 09:16 PM

11. 7 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 04 Jul, 2017 09:16 PM

Jake,

No, one way registers the log as "Back Squat : 1x Max Rep : 10 lbs | 1 lbs | Rx'd", whereas the other way registers the log as "Back Squat 10 Reps : 10 lbs | 1 lbs | Rx'd". Recall that a logged workout can be planned again, and a planned workout that says to do 10 reps is definitely not the same as a planned workout that says to do as many reps as you can.

This is a real limitation in the Android app.

12. Support Staff 8 Posted by Jake Mannion on 05 Jul, 2017 09:14 PM

Daniel,

It looks like you are using the beta version of the app. Have you updated it recently? I've just verified on our end that the Android version of the app includes a "Rep Scheme" option to select Max Reps.

If you aren't using the Beta version, I can get you added to it asap. Let me know.

Jake

13. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 05 Jul, 2017 09:14 PM.

14. Daniel Grayson re-opened this discussion on 05 Jul, 2017 09:18 PM

15. 9 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 05 Jul, 2017 09:18 PM

I simply installed it from the Google Play Store, and there is no visible menu item in it for determining the version number. I'd be happy to try the beta version.

16. 10 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 05 Jul, 2017 09:19 PM

PS: updates are automatic, I don't control them, either.

17. Support Staff 11 Posted by Jake Mannion on 05 Jul, 2017 09:22 PM

I'm going to get you added to the beta. I've added you to the list. You should be receiving an email within the next couple of days,

Jake

18. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 05 Jul, 2017 09:22 PM.

19. Daniel Grayson re-opened this discussion on 06 Jul, 2017 12:31 PM

20. 12 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 06 Jul, 2017 12:31 PM

Okay, thanks.

21. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 06 Jul, 2017 04:52 PM.

22. Daniel Grayson re-opened this discussion on 12 Jul, 2017 12:47 PM

23. 13 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 12 Jul, 2017 12:47 PM

Jake, I now seem to have the beta version of the app, which I surmise because the interface is glossier in spots, but the workouts I log with the app are invisible on the web site, even though they are visible in the app.

24. Support Staff 14 Posted by Jake Mannion on 12 Jul, 2017 02:42 PM

Daniel,

I've attached an image of what the home screen of the beta should look like. If that is what you see on your end, then, yes, you have the beta.

Can you send me a screenshot from the app of a workout you've logged. I'll cross check it with the website. Everything should be appear on both platforms.

Thanks.

Jake

25. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2017 02:42 PM.

26. Daniel Grayson re-opened this discussion on 14 Jul, 2017 11:05 AM

27. 15 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 14 Jul, 2017 11:05 AM

Okay, thanks, I have the beta app.

My report about the logs made in the app not appearing on the website was wrong. Rather, I was confused by the webpage in the attached screenshot: on Wednesday and Thursday, each plan and log are represented by separate items in the calendar, but on Tuesday, each pair ( consisting of a plan and the corresponding log) is merged into a single item. Monday seems to be a mixture of such things.

Is that explicable?

28. Support Staff 16 Posted by Jake Mannion on 14 Jul, 2017 05:10 PM

Daniel,

I has to do with logging scores for workouts that you've planned, versus just logging results.

Do you every use the Plan feature to set WODs for your week? Or are you always just logging?

Jake

29. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 14 Jul, 2017 05:10 PM.

30. Daniel Grayson re-opened this discussion on 14 Jul, 2017 07:32 PM

31. 17 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 14 Jul, 2017 07:32 PM

Well, it's a creative idea that I logged those exercises on Tuesday without planning them, but I don't see how that's possible, for if I try today to use the app to log an exercise called "Wendler Bench Press: Week 1", as was logged on Tuesday, I select Single Movement, I search for "wendler bench 1", and then I see only "Wendler Cycle Week 1 Bench Press".

32. Support Staff 18 Posted by Jake Mannion on 17 Jul, 2017 04:34 PM

Daniel,

The image you sent me is from your Plan page. The image I've attached is from your regular calendar whiteboard calendar. It doesn't show any of the other stuff. If you aren't planning anything for yourself, you never need to go to that page. Just log into the BTWB website. The calendar you initially see is the one that will display the workouts you've logged results for.

Jake

33. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2017 04:34 PM.

34. Daniel Grayson re-opened this discussion on 18 Jul, 2017 06:57 PM

35. 19 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 18 Jul, 2017 06:57 PM

Thanks, Jake, but I do plan a lot of stuff for myself, so I do use the "Plan" page. It seems that my observation reveals an issue with it that deserves to be repaired, if I'm correct about it. Other users might benefit, too -- I'm probably not the only one getting confused.

36. 20 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 18 Jul, 2017 07:03 PM

PS: my original observation, about the Android app not offering the "Rep Scheme" option when logging an unplanned workout, is now moot, for as you thought, the beta version of the app now offers that option.

37. Support Staff 21 Posted by Jake Mannion on 19 Jul, 2017 05:41 PM

Daniel,

Talked to the guys. It looks like, from the Plan page, the WOD you planned AND the result for your workout will appear. This is why you are seeing duplicates. The idea is that if you are planning workouts for yourself, it might be a good idea to see the results of recent workouts because that might influence your future planning.

Jake

38. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 19 Jul, 2017 05:41 PM.

39. Daniel Grayson re-opened this discussion on 19 Jul, 2017 06:22 PM

40. 22 Posted by Daniel Grayson on 19 Jul, 2017 06:22 PM

Yes, I'm not confused by the duplication. The confusing aspect, which I reported, is the lack of duplication on Tuesday, July 11, even though the workouts appear to have been planned.

41. Support Staff 23 Posted by Jake Mannion on 20 Jul, 2017 06:19 PM

Daniel,

That's a good question. You must not have planned those workouts. Even the items on the plan calendar have the "pin" icons next to them. That's usually indicative of something recorded using the "log" button (not the Plan option).

It looks like this week is working fine for you. The next time something like this happens, let me know asap so that we can trace your exact steps.

Jake

42. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2017 06:19 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac