Push press vs. strict press vs. overhead press vs. press [yes, again]

Jeremy Abramson

22 Jul, 2017 05:53 AM

So I've read a few KB discussions about this, and it seems to imply that BTWB magically combines results for all of these exercise names, but this doesn't seem to be the case for me. Is there any way of combining these workouts, or globally editing them? It's really frustrating because I think I have "press" from 2016 to now, but "overhead press" from 2011 for a few years, and maybe "shoulder press" mixed in there too.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jake Mannion on 25 Jul, 2017 05:45 PM

Jeremy,

Happy to help.

What sort of info are you trying to access? Each of those movements have their own movement pages with your personal history attached.

Are you specifically referring to the Fitness Level feature?

Let me know.

Jake

2. Jake Mannion closed this discussion on 25 Jul, 2017 05:45 PM.

3. Jeremy Abramson re-opened this discussion on 25 Jul, 2017 06:08 PM

4. 2 Posted by Jeremy Abramson on 25 Jul, 2017 06:08 PM

Hey Jake, thanks for the response. First off, me mentioning push press is obviously a[n embarrassing!] mistake. It’s not related at all. But my hope was that the other excesses [press, strict press, overhead press] could be "merged" as one logical movement. So when I look up my 1 RM, I get it from those three exercises, regardless of how it was entered in. Or when I enter a workout with "press", and I look at previous workouts, it culls them from all three. There’s no difference between them, and it’s annoying that it seems like my workouts are split amongst them.

If we can’t do that, is there a way of bulk changing the workouts, without having to edit each one individually? To this end, I’ve tried to edit workouts, and while I can change the movement, it’s weird because it doesn’t change the workout "name". For example, if I entered in, say "Press 3x5" and I have three entries for pressing, 5 @ 100, 5 @ 110 and 5 @120, if I edit the movements individually from "press" to "strict press" they’ll change, but the workout when it shows up in the log, etc. is still "Press 3x5". There’s no way [I can see] of changing it to strict press. Obviously the best case is to change the actual workout title, and it knows to propagate the change to the individual movements, but either way, the disconnect there is probably a bug.

Does this all make sense?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jake Mannion on 26 Jul, 2017 05:57 PM

Jeremy,

I'll see what we can do in regards to combining movements. One of the problems is that users continue to make new movements, no matter how often we combine them. For example, I refer to the press as a "shoulder press", but somebody else might simply know it as a "strict press". If they can't find the movement, they'll just remake it. The vernacular in the community is very broad.

We do exactly what you are referring to with our Fitness Level and Benchmarks feature. The Olympic Lifting category includes a bunch of different (but similar) movements and only displays the heaviest. For example, a power clean vs a squat clean. The heaviest of the 2 will be used as your score for the "clean".

The same goes for the Benchmarks section on your profile page. We take the heaviest overhead press and display it as your personal best. This could come from a shoulder press, a push press, or a push jerk, and everything similar movement variation in between.

Jake

6. 4 Posted by Jeremy Abramson on 18 Aug, 2017 05:40 AM

Jake,
         Thanks for the reply! I think I figured out the issue [maybe?]. I’m not talking about benchmarks, but just general "movement" searches. It’s nice to see how I’m progressing with a movement, or even to remember what I did last week. So it’d be nice if it’d combine obvious similar movements. But one issue is that you can’t even search for [just] "press" on the website. If I find a previous "press" workout, the movement will show up, but I can only see strict press and shoulder press, but no overhead press or just press show up. It would seem that my most recent workouts were entered in as "press". Is there some way of bulk converting these to whatever (probably shoulder press)? I have 12 "press" workouts and 10 "shoulder press" workouts. No strict press workouts. I’m honestly almost positive I have some "overhead press" workouts hiding somewhere, but as I said, I can’t see the movement from the search, and I’m not going to scroll back in the calendar back to 2012 to try and track them down.
         Is it possible to convert my "press" workouts to "shoulder press" and/or find any stray overhead press logs?

Thanks so much!
    Jeremy

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac